Appliance Questions and Answers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appliance Questions and Answers Forum

Post your Questions in the Forums about Appliance Repair and Service Questions and get Free Advice and Repair Help

You are not connected. Please login or register

Appliance Tech newbie

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Appliance Tech newbie Empty Appliance Tech newbie 9/12/2010, 09:22

Brainfried

Mr.Bill! Is there a place here where Appliance Techs can chat or post or ask questions. I was certified as an appliance tech, but I don't have any real hands on experience, and no I haven't had my Refrigeration certification yet either. I need to get some Service Manuals to get up to par on some of the newer appliances out in the field. Which ones do you recommend to get an overall look and feel that would cover most of the appliances out there, of course i know that there are only a few basic companies that make most appliances, so many are pretty much the same other than some features. I am no slacker at repairing mechanical things, I have had some experience, but need more. One good thing about my training was learning to read schematics, which has been very helpful. So, any advice would be helpful. Of course the posts here maybe only for the homeowner looking to repair his or her appliance. So, if I can't post here let me know. Just looking for a little advice. You do have some interesting viewpoints and observations.

2Appliance Tech newbie Empty Appliance Technicians 9/14/2010, 13:25

MrBill

MrBill
Admin

I'll will make a new area for that, I'll just name it Appliance Technicians.

Thanks for the interest in the forum.

Bill

http://www.applianceoutletservice.com

3Appliance Tech newbie Empty tech newbie 9/15/2010, 15:35

Brainfried

Thanks Mr. Bill. Appreciate you letting me hang out here. One thing I have noticed that I learned when getting certified was the use of Thermistors, especially or mostly in refrigerators. I've kind of taken a crash course in Thermistors lately. Looks like future Appliances will have a lot of Thermistors instead of just Thermostats. Interesting!

Last edited by Brainfried on 9/15/2010, 15:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

4Appliance Tech newbie Empty Appliance Tech 9/15/2010, 20:33

MrBill

MrBill
Admin

I'll add quick notes here, as far as in home goes, being a people person is a skill that you either have or don't, I think. One thing that I've always done when at a customers house has been to provoke conversations about them.

Let's them talk and you can work, without them talking about what your doing too much and being too distracting.

I'll privatize this area just for techs, that way we can talk more about that without offending anyone. lol

Talk to you later!

5Appliance Tech newbie Empty appliance service calls 9/16/2010, 14:04

Brainfried

Yea. I was gonna purchase an appliance repair business a while back, and I worked with the owner for a couple of weeks. He didn't say much on his visits but he would ask all the relevant questions pertaining to the broken down appliance. Like what are the symptoms, is it just making a noise: is it draining right, things like that. You have to ask some questions to get at the answers, and that is usually what he did, there wasn't much else, but the customer wants that appliance fixed. It's like part of there family.

6Appliance Tech newbie Empty Service 9/16/2010, 15:41

MrBill

MrBill
Admin

After you do it for some time it just becomes second nature. I learned from a grumpy old man. What I learned was how not to talk to customers. lol
You have to love all the customers pets too.
Where are you from?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum