Appliance Questions and Answers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appliance Questions and Answers Forum

Post your Questions in the Forums about Appliance Repair and Service Questions and get Free Advice and Repair Help

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pump fixed, now belts squealing?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

utilityroom

As I mentioned in my other post, we thought our old Maytag washer pump (33 years old) had something caught in it. We picked up a new pump, and just as my husband handed the old one to me, a piece of wire fell out of it! So we put it back on the machine and it wasn't noisy any more. We cheered!
BUT........we had also replaced the belts (drive and pump) and when I tried out everything on a small rinse cycle, the belt(s) howled and began to smoke. Sad
My husband felt each pulley and belt and the really hot one was the pulley where both belts are. He loosened up the pump. We tried it again. Seemed okay, then before long the belt(s) started howling and smelling again.

Can anyone give us a clue what's going on? Initially, the pump was set to the far right. Then the pump is was midway in the holes and the belt is about to fall off, so we don't want to loosen it any more.
Any suggestions on what's causing this?
Is it possible that even though that wire fell out of the pump and the turbines in it look fine through the outlet hole, and the pulley turns smoothly.......that its still defective and causing the drive pulley to strain?? Why wouldn't it also heat up the pump pulley?

We're going crazy with all this. I guess we should have called a repairman to start with. Now we're determined to make it all work!
Any suggestions as to why the belt(s) are screaming and the drive pulley is getting so hot and smelly?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum