Appliance Questions and Answers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appliance Questions and Answers Forum

Post your Questions in the Forums about Appliance Repair and Service Questions and get Free Advice and Repair Help

You are not connected. Please login or register

Compressor/Thermostat problems post Hurricane Sandy

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Fridgeless

I was out of town when Hurricane Sandy hit and while the electricity was out for 4 days. I returned after the electricity was restored (no flooding/water damage otherwise) and noticed food and beverages were freezing. I turned the thermostat down but milk and veggies continued to freeze. I turned my cold control/thermostat to the off/zero position but the compressor continued to run and I then realized it was not cycling off at all (usually goes off every 25 mins.). Otherwise, compressor fan was running, fridge door seal was not leaking and coils were clean.

I then partially detached the thermostat (disconnected 2 blue wires but could not dislodge green and brown so left those and the partially disconnected thermostat in place) and went to the Summit dealer to purchase a new thermostat. The technician there instead recommended replacing the compressor starter and relay. Returned home and first reattached the thermostat (reattaching the 2 blue wires, housing, etc), however, when I plugged the fridge in it immediately tripped the apt's circuit breaker.

(I have a Summit under-the-counter refrigerator with a small internal freezer. The thermostat is a Danfoss 077B6149 of the B6 series)

I spoke with the Summit technician who suggested crossed wires might be causing this. I rechecked the wires but circuit tripped again on a 2nd attempt to plug in.

I've now come to the conclusion that I must have totally screwed up and incorrectly rewired my thermostat. According to my fridge's wiring schematic there should be one blue wire connected to the door switch - I have instead (oh so stupidly!) attached both blue wires to the actual thermostat.

Any insight on whether I have now totally fried my thermostat or might it possible work if I correct the wiring?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Fridgeless on 11/15/2012, 13:30; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum