Appliance Questions and Answers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appliance Questions and Answers Forum

Post your Questions in the Forums about Appliance Repair and Service Questions and get Free Advice and Repair Help

You are not connected. Please login or register

GE MODEL # gss22jerfww On door ice/water dispenser stopped working

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gerryt

GE MODEL # GSS22JERFWW
Two months ago ice formed on coils in back of freezer section, GE repairman came out and replaced part, now the on door ice/ice crusher/water dispenser stopped working, ice maker is still making ice and temp in both freezer and refrigerator sections seem to be OK. A couple of days later a clicking noise started from the back or bottom of frig. clicking noise happens for maybe a minute, compressor starts up then in about an hour clicking starts again then the cycle repeats. Are the two issues connected?

2GE MODEL # gss22jerfww On door ice/water dispenser stopped working Empty GE Refrigerator 9/2/2010, 18:41

MrBill

MrBill
Admin

Its possible that the second problem caused the first. It sounds like to me that original problem was defrost related. That would have caused the compressor to run constantly because the fresh food side was not able to reach the correct temperature.

Sooooooooooooooo............

First thing to check:
Remove the panel on the back of the fridge where the compressor is. Make sure that the round cylinder of black coils are free of debris. (hair, dust and so on)
Second:
Make sure the fan beside the compressor is running when the compressor is running. It has to or the compressor will overheat and click.

Check those out and let me know what you find.

MrBill

http://www.applianceoutletservice.com

gerryt

Mr. Bill
checked out the two items that you suggested, #1 the black round cylinder of coils is free of debris and #2 the fan on the end of the round cylinder is working fine when the compressor is running! I do not hear the clicking noise when the compressor and fan are running, I waited until they shut down and still no noise of the fan touching anything.
I tested the ice/water dispenser again, green lights above each button light up but dim when I press the buttons, also the night light works also. Still no ice or water coming out, the ice maker is working fine but the auger does not work when the dispenser is pushed!

Whats next

4GE MODEL # gss22jerfww On door ice/water dispenser stopped working Empty GE Refrigerator 9/3/2010, 19:36

MrBill

MrBill
Admin

Try this, Sometimes the auger motor itself will "freeze up".

I have done this repair on countless machines. You want to gain access to the auger motor and basically thaw it out. If you can remove it from the machine, take it over to the sink and run it under some water. Or you can try to use a hair dryer on it. The quicker thawing method is to remove it from the machine and run it under some water. It should be two screws and 1 plug. Leave the actual motor attached to the white frame that its on. The plug will be a little tricky. Make sure you have some needle nose plyers when you get to that part.

Let me if that solves that and we will move on from there.

Bill

http://www.applianceoutletservice.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum